NAFTA is the North American Free Trade Agreement. The NAFTA agreement sets up trade agreements for the United States, Canada and Mexico. The TN visa is a non-immigrant visa created in 1992. It is available to Mexicans and Canadians citizens temporarily entering the U.S. to work in professional fields pre-designated in the NAFTA Treaty. It creates special economic and trade relationships for the United States, Canada and Mexico. The nonimmigrant NAFTA Professional TN visa allows citizens of Canada and Mexico, as NAFTA professionals to work in the United States. Permanent residents, including Canadian permanent residents, are not able to apply to work as a NAFTA professional.

Professionals of Canada or Mexico may work in the U.S. under the following conditions:

Applicant is a citizen of Canada or Mexico;

Profession is on the NAFTA list;

Position in the U.S. requires a professional that is on the NAFTA list;

Mexican or Canadian applicant is to work in a prearranged full-time or part-time job, for a U.S. employer (see documentation required). Self employment is not permitted;

Professional Canadian or Mexican citizen has the qualifications of the profession

TN-1 Visa Privileges

  • If you have a TN-1 visa you can legally work in the U.S.
  • You may travel in and out of the U.S.
  • TN-1 visa holders may be employed on a part-time basis
  • May change or add employers without losing status by following proper procedures
  • May bring his/her spouse and minor dependents to the U.S. on TD visas
  • Dependents with the TD visa can attend U.S. schools, colleges and universities, but cannot work
  • TN visa holders may bring a domestic servant to the U.S. on a B-1 visa, if he/she meets the requirements set

Request a Consultation

Get in touch and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. We look forward to hearing from you!